What is Telogen Effluvium?
Telogen Effluvium is the most common type of hair loss which is resulted from the hormonal changes, metabolic stress or medical reactions. It is characterized by diffuse hair shedding in which hair follicles show hair drops significantly during resting or telogen phase. Usually, recovery can be seen after 6 months, provided that the pattern of alopecia is not present.
Telogen Effluvium can be seen as a diffuse thinning of hair on the scalp which may be different on overall scalp. The severity of hair loss can be different from person to person and scalp to scalp. Majorly, it affects the top of the scalp apart from the sides or back of the scalp. hair line recession is found in chronic cases only.
People suffering from the Telogen Effluvium will never lose complete hairs from the scalp, but the hair can be noticeably thin in severe cases. Although Telogen Effluvium is limited to the head scalp, it can also affect the other areas such as eyebrows and public region.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Telogen Effluvium?
Telogen Effluvium can be recognised with the first symptoms i.e., thinning of the hairs from the top scalp. Thinking can be limited to the one area or may affect the areas of back, & side scalp even. There might be chances of complete baldness slowly and may also bald the hairs of eyelashes and eyebrows. Below given are the most noticeable symptoms and signs of Telogen Effluvium:-
- Shedding of the hairs
- Receding of the top hair line
- Hair loss which can be noticed while washing hair and combing hairs
- Generalised hair thinning
- Dryness and lustreless hairs which easily breakable
- Hair colour may change from dark to brown or red etc
What are the Causes of Telogen Effluvium?
Telogen Effluvium are usually caused by one of some of the reason such as poor diets, certain medicines, shocks, physical injury, extreme stress level and chronic illness (malaria, tuberculosis, HIV infection). Telogen Effluvium can be caused due to the Various other reasons such as-
- Physical Trauma: Having any physical loss due to surgery or car crash may lead to huge amount of blood loss. It may also lead to huge shock which may trigger the mental status. Hair follicles may go into resting stage which may stop the hairs to grow normally.
- Environmental Factors: Exposure of toxins like heavy metals may also cause such conditions. This type of hair loss is temporary and one may experience the hair growth once the environment is stable. The whole process of recovering the hairs may take up to 6 months or less than a year.
- Hormonal Changes: Sudden change in hormone levels trigger the hair follicles leading to resting stage. The hormone changes can be experienced during pregnancy or childbirth. The original stage of hair growth can be achieved after 6 months on within a year of childbirth.
- Medications: There are some Vaccinations and medications like antihypertensives & oral contraceptives which may cause hair loss. It is always recommended to always a consult a doctor before taking any type of medicine.
- Diet: Some researchers have claimed that the hair loss may be resulted in due to deficiency of vitamins or nutrient supplements such as iron, zinc, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12. Having hair loss due to diet deficiency, crash diets need to be avoided as these are the basic reason for causing Telogen Effluvium.
Telogen Effluvium is women are supposed to occur due to childbirth, abortions, hormone changes, pregnancy, due to the high level of estrogen and progesterone. Stopping and sudden use of contraceptive pills are also the reason for causing hair loss.
How is Anagen Effluvium Diagnosed?
Telogen Effluvium can be diagnosed bob different methods and tests as given below:-
- Physical Examination and Medical History: Doctors will analyze the hairs and may also ask for your medial history consisting the disease, Surgeries, and medicine taken. Apart from the disease, he may ask for the emotional trauma or extreme stress conditions.
- Scalp Biopsy: Examiner will pluck a hair and will examine through the microscope. He may also cut the small piece of scalp skin to check for the exact reason of hair loss. Hairs can be observed with a white bulb.
- Blood Tests: Some hair loss may occur due to metabolic or biologic causes and to diagnose the same several blood test or medical tests such as Blood tests, thyroid test or enzyme analysis are required.
- Hair Pull Test: To perform this test, a bunch of hair containing 40-60 strands with thumb and index finders are pulled with force. If more than 10% hair fall occurs, this is the stage of Telogen Effluvium.
- Hair Pluck Test: This is also known as Trichogram which includes examining hairs strength. if more than 25% of hairs are broken, the hair is in the Telogen phase.
- Wash test: This simple test is performed to count the number of hair fall in which a patient will be asked to wash the hairs after 5 days of the last shampoo. While washing lost hairs will be collected and counted to see the severity of hair loss.
What are the Treatments for Telogen Effluvium?
Telogen Effluvium may be short term or long term. So treatment will vary according to the Causes. Short term Telogen effluvium can be recovered by own with having proper diets and after recovery of physical trauma. Suppose, if the stress is the main key of hair loss, it can be cured through reducing the stress level and if the hair loss occurred due to the deficiency of nutrients, it can be fulfilled with having proper supplements.
For the long-term, Telogen effluvium medication and regular treatments are offered through the expert dermatologists. Given the below the Treatments which are to offered in case of Telogen effluvium:-
As we have read before, the Telogen effluvium can be occurred due to the various reasons such as pregnancy, hormonal changes, childbirth, scalp infections, medicine reactions, chronic illness, ageing, malnutrition and much more, So it becomes perquisite to maintain the good health by following proper Diets Rules and Exercising regularly. So the preventive methods include:-
- Start meditation to Managing stress
- Eating healthy diet after consulting to the expert nutritionist
- Having proper and enough sleep
- Stopping medications which are causing hair loss
- Avoiding Junk Foods, Alcohol and smoking
Preventive treatments are used to avoid Telogen effluvium in its initial stage or by looking at the initial symptoms. Although the problem- Telogen effluvium can be overcome within 6-8 months, if not, treatments are required to control the problems and results thereof.
Above treatments will help to prevent the disease, but if the disease has been spread and you are facing the problem of extreme hair loss or Telogen effluvium, better to follow the Home & Medicinal Treatments which are given as under:-
- Diet & Nutrition: The major cause is nutritional deficiency so to cure the problem, it is better to have proper diets. One should have rich fibre diets along with the liquid diets. To fulfil the deficiency of nutritions and vitamins, supplements can be intake consisting iron, Zinc, Estradiol, proteins.
- Medications: Minoxidil is taken as the effective medicine to stimulate the hair growth although consuming regular may bring side-effects to some of the patients so better to consult with the dermatologists on regular basis. Metabolic and Hormonal disorder treatment can be availed to control the same. OTC products are working towards the regular & active growth of hair follicles.
- Avoiding Factors: Some medications may cause Telogen Effluvium such as beta-blockers, , anticoagulants, or antithyroid agents etc which needs to be stopped immediately. Apart from that, one should also avid using too much chemical products and hair styling & coloring as it may harm the originality of natural hairs. Regular chemical interactions will harm the hair follicles.
- Relax/ Rest: Stress and over excitement can cause the hair loss. When can be seen suffering from the Telogen Effluvium due to stress and not having proper rest? So better to have proper sleep, start Yoga & Meditation to manage the stress.
So better to control the conditions which are causing Telogen Effluvium such Environment, Hormones & lifestyle choice.